Monday, May 19, 2008

I <3 my bike!

I started cycling last January, training to ride to Yosemite from my house. I was able to complete the ride, and I continued riding. The only thing was that the bike I was riding I was borrowing from a lady from church, and it wasn't really a road bike...more of a mountain bike with skinny'ish' tires. It was an okay bike, I mean, it got me to Yosemite, obviously. I decided, though, that I liked cycling enough to merit buying a bike. Well, conveniently, my brother-in-law had just bought a new bike and had his old one sitting in the garage, taking up space. He offered to sell it to me (for a very reasonable price), to which I readily accepted. I am the proud owner of a 2003 Specialized Allez Elite Double. I've ridden it around a lot (including up Del Valle, up Mines Road, to work and back to save gas, and in the Tour de Cure). I kept noticing this weird pain I was getting in my elbows for any ride longer than about 7 or 8 miles. Anyways, about three weeks ago, I went with Sean to the Livermore Cyclery (in Dublin) to get his bike "fit" to him. I was very impressed with the quality of their work, so I decided to get my bike fit as well by the Livermore Cyclery (in Livermore, this time). The problem with my bike, it turned out, was that it was fit to Dan and not to me (duh...). Anyways, so my biggest complaint was my elbows and such, so I knew going in that I would need to buy new bars. Apparently I was practically riding like Superman with my arms way out in front of me. I need 38cm bars, and Dan's bars (the ones that were on the bike), were 44cm! Along with the new bars, I also needed a new stem (a shorter one), new bar tape (I got red to match the little bits of red on the frame), and a new saddle. The old saddle was a 135, and I need somewhere between a 143-150, apparently. I guess that was why my backside would hurt while riding! I rode my bike to work this morning, and it felt great! I am so happy with the changes on my bike.

The Bill:
Fitting - $50
Bars - $20
Tape - $15
Stem - $35
Saddle - $40
Shoe Inserts - $25
Total before taxes: $185

On top of all of this stuff, K, the guy doing the fitting, didn't charge me for any labor fees, and he even detailed my drive train, tightened my brakes, lubed my chain, and adjusted my derailleur. K is basically the greatest, and I was blown away by the quality of his work. He paid attention to even the smallest details and, on top of all of this, when he was doing the fitting, he was explaining to me everything he was doing. He really knew the physiology, kinesiology, and physics behind it all! I was so impressed with everything that he did for my bike. I love the Livermore Cyclery! I'll post pictures of my bike later tonight! It is so pretty!

3 comments:

Aly said...

Bike nerd

squidlover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
squidlover said...

Repost Comment...
So is it Sean you're into or your bike?