Here I am, less than 5 days after I get my number (608!), and I'm already off probation! I got a "surprise" training call today, run by Sam, the EMS coordinator, and the supervisor for today. I wasn't supposed to know about it, but the supervisor mentioned it to me, which kind of got me freaking out a little bit. I probably would have rathered just having it be a surprise, so I wouldn't have time to think about it.
It was a pretty fun call...he had gotten out the dummy and had raided the moulage suitcase, which is full of all sorts of neat injuries. The one he picked for me was a compound fracture of the upper arm, and a nice laceration on the back of the upper arm. So on top of that, he had attached some tubing and fake blood attached to a pump, so it was an "actively bleeding" patient. I had to control the bleeding, and I did it so well that he couldn't squeeze anymore blood out of the straw, which I thought was pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. After I was done, we discussed what went right and what went wrong, and then, as we were loading up all of our equipment in the van, Sam asked me how I thought I had done. I said I thought it had gone pretty well, and then he asked me if I wanted to count it as my get-off-probation-training-call! I said, "Sure." So he told me to go back to the EMS office and take the written-get-off-probation-exam, and I did. I called him within two minutes of when I finished, and he was already grading it! Crazy! Anyways, I passed, and he said that I had done really well. Yay for me!
I'm the first person this year to get off probation. I feel pretty darn special right now.
Monday, October 6, 2008
I'm off probation!
Posted by A at 4:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
woot!
Post a Comment