I loaned my best friend to the Lord today for two years.
I thought saying goodbye last Saturday was the hardest thing I'd ever done, but this was harder. After he hugged his family goodbye, he turned a shook my hand, said "I love you," and nearly ran out of the chapel, out the door "Missionary Exit." I walked out the door "Family Exit," fighting back the tears. I told him I didn't want him to see my cry today. I'm afraid he might have seen a few tears from me, but at least I didn't completely lose it. I suspect that he nearly ran out the door for two reasons. 1) I think he was close to crying and didn't want us to see him tear up. and 2) He is actually excited to go, which is wonderful.
He looked so official with his name tag on that said "Elder Herrmann" with "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" (in Spanish) stamped onto it.
I came home, gave Leslie's wedding dress to his family to take back to California, and then cried. Yes, I'll admit it. I bawled like a baby. My best friend is gone for two years. I'm so used to being able to pick up my phone and call him whenever I want to, and now I can't. This will certainly be a big adjustment for me.
He'll be a great missionary, and he's doing what he needs to be doing. Besides, I'll see him in two years. Hopefully the time will go by faster than it has in the 3.5 hours it has been since I watched him walk through that "Missionary Exit."
¡Adiós, Elder Herrmann!
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Saying Goodbye. Again.
Posted by A at 4:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment