Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Amazing Knock-Off Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Burritos

Knock-off Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Burritos, Enchilada Style

I made these for some of my friends on Sunday night, and it was a great hit, so I decided to post the recipe for everyone to see!

Sweet Pork Recipe:
3lbs pork roast
8oz taco sauce (I used enchilada sauce)
1/2 can Coke
1 cup brown sugar

Cook pork in crock pot about 6 hours, until it shreds easily. 2 hours before serving, shred pork and return to crock pot (discard juice from pork). Pour taco sauce, coke, and brown sugar over pork and mix well. Cook for 2 more hours.

Almost Cafe Rio Lime Rice
4 cups water
2 cups white rice
1/4-1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
3-4 T fresh minced garlic
4-5 tsp chicken bouillon
Juice of 1 lime

Saute rice in butter with garlic, cilantro, bouillon, and lime juice over low heat for 1-2 minutes. Stir in water, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Makes 6 cups.

Heat up some beans on the stove for the burritos. I used a 19.75 oz can of La Costena Whole Pinto Beans, as well as a smaller can of whole black beans so people could choose what kind of beans they wanted.

For tortillas, I used the uncooked tortillas from Costco (and then cooked them, of course).

Assemble the burritos and flip them so the seam side is down. Pour salsa verde over the top, sprinkle Mexican Fiesta cheese (or equivalent) on the salsa verde, and stick it in the oven or the microwave just long enough to melt the cheese. Serve hot!

This recipe makes TONS of food. I fed 5 starving college students (4 girls, 1 boy), and it barely looks like we made a dent. Enjoy!

Easiness factor: 9/10 (easy enough for someone with little to no cooking experience --me-- to make with no difficulties!
Yumminess Factor: 10/10 (tastes just like the Cafe Rio pork burritos. Yum!)

2 comments:

squidlover said...

Amy... a domestic goddess... who would have thought!

A said...

I know...miracles still happen! :)