Thursday, April 10, 2008

Class Scheduling Rant

I'm applying to the BYU Nursing Program for the Fall 2008 semester. Don't you think it would make sense for you to know whether or not you've been accepted BEFORE you have to register for classes? I have to register for my Fall 2008 classes next week, but I don't find out if I have been accepted into the Nursing Program until the end of JUNE. So I sent an email to one of the College of Nursing advisors asking her how I go about signing up for classes. You see, you're supposed to have a specific set of classes for each semester that you're in the Nursing Program. So here's my predicament: do I sign up for the Nursing "Envelope" of classes and just assume that I'll get in to the program? Do I sign up for random GE classes that I need to take and assume that I won't get into the program? Or what? So the lady emailed back saying, "I’d look to see what the nursing envelope schedule is like and pick PDBio 220, MMBio 221 & 222, and NDFS 100 classes that would work with the Nursing Schedule then I’d also sign up for as many GEs as possible. Sign up for 18 credits worth. Then if you find out your made it in you drop the GEs and if you don’t make it in you drop the PDBio 220, MMBios and NDFS 100 classes." Way to pick the middle ground, advisor-lady.

Now, keep in mind that I have been working on my schedule for the last couple of days. I had come up with a schedule assuming that I get accepted, and I have made up a schedule assuming that I don't get accepted. Also, keep in mind that the maximum number of credits that you can sign up for in the Fall/Winter semesters is 18. A normal "full-load" is 14-15ish. I can't sign up for all of the classes that I need to then! It's driving me crazy. So right now, saved to my desktop, is a text document and an Excel spreadsheet. In my tabs on Mozilla right now, I have the BYU "class timetables" page open. I've been working on this for a couple of hours this morning. I've basically had to come up with three different schedules. #1: Assuming I will be in the Nursing Program. #2: Assuming I will not be in the Nursing Program. #3: The classes that I sign up for next week. I love how #3 doesn't match either #1 or #2 (HA!).

You probably don't really care, but assuming I'm in the program, my schedule will (hopefully) look like this:

NDFS 100 Nutrition (Section 3) 3.0
MMBio 221 Micro (Section 1) 3.0
MMBio 222 Lab (Section 2) 1.0
PDBio 220 Anatomy (Section 2) 3.0
NURS 294 Health Assessment and Promotion (Section 1) 3.0
STDEV 199R BYU EMS Service Learning Course (Section 7) 3.0

Total Number of Credits: 16.0

Assuming that I won't be in the program, my schedule looks like this:

A HTG 100 American Heritage (Section 7) 3.0
PHY S 100 Physical Science (Section 56) 3.0
REL A 211 New Testament (Section 26) 2.0
FREN 201 Intermediate French, Part 1 (Section 4) 4.0
STDEV 199R BYU EMS Service Learning Course (Section 7) 3.0

Total Number of Credits: 15.0

Now here's the kicker. Here are the classes that I sign up for next week:

REL A 211 New Testament (Section 26) 2.0
A HTG 100 American Heritage (Section 7) 3.0
PHY S 100 Physical Science (Section 56) 3.0
PDBIO 220 Anatomy (Section 2) 3.0
PDBIO 220 Lab (Section 33) 0.0
NDFS 100 Nutrition (Section 3) 3.0
MMBio 221 Micro (Section 1) 3.0
MMBio 222 Lab (Section 2) 1.0

Total Number of Credits: 18.0

List #3 (the one I sign up for next week) seems like just a random assortment of classes! What is driving me crazy is that, if you notice, one of the classes (STDEV 199R BYU EMS Service Learning Course - 3.0) is on both List #1 and List #2. But is it on List #3? No. Because I don't have enough "credit space" to take it. LAME. It's not that big of a deal that it's not on there because I've talked to the instructor (he's one of my EMT teachers right now), and he said it really doesn't matter if you have signed up for the class or not. I just need to show up on the first night of class and take it from there. It's just driving me crazy!

Anyways, enough ranting. This probably didn't make much sense, but I just had to vent for a bit. Now I get to go get ready for my least favorite class - Chem 285! Luckily, I only have three more days of it after today!


0 comments: