Saturday, April 12, 2008

EMT-B Practical Exam

Well, today was the big day - my EMT-B Practical Exam. For starters, I had to get up at 5:30am, which is an insane time to get up on a Saturday morning (and even worse because I didn't go to bed until 1:00am). We (Mat Goebel, Matt Bingham, Annie Swenson, and I) were on the road headed for Sandy (actually the Salt Lake Community College) by 7:00. We parked and were inside the building by 7:45am, and then the waiting began. They (the people in charge) checked everyone in by our different classes (there were 5 classes being tested). When you checked in, you signed a couple of papers and they gave you a thumb drive, which had your scoring sheets saved to it. Well, the BYU class was LAST to be checked in, so we weren't even all checked in until nearly 10:00am. Talk about wasting a lot of time. And THEN, the real waiting began. I was number 107 out of 116 to be tested. I wasn't worrying too much (I would be lying to say that I wasn't worrying at all), but when they called numbers 104, 105, and 106, my heart rate went through the roof. Well, finally they took all of the rest of us upstairs to outside of the classrooms where the scenarios were going on. I read my scenario, but then had to wait for forever until it was my turn. I had two people ahead of me up there, so we were all just running through the scenarios and what it could be and what we would do in our heads. I kind of calmed down because I figured out what I would most likely have to do. My turn finally came, and I went in and performed my assessment on the "patient." (He was pretending to have an allergy attack while at a restaurant, which wasn't too hard...Epi-Pen time!) The only things I forgot to do were request for backup and say that I didn't need to worry about stabilization of the spine because it was a medical, not a trauma, scenario. Then the next part of our test was a skills test, and I had to "administer" an inhaler to my "patient." I'm not so sure how I did on this part. I mean, I am an asthmatic, so I know how to use an inhaler, but I'm not sure that I asked all of the right questions that I'm supposed to ask as an EMT. I just hope it wasn't enough to fail me. That would be embarrassing. They said that we will find out within three weeks if we passed or not (and yes, you can fail one part and pass the other), so I guess I'll just have to wait and find out! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, though.

0 comments: